Die Repair Technician
This company is the place to work for -- low turnover and high retention rate. Competitive salary, strong benefits package, and an outstanding atmosphere. Long term, this position has the potential for promotion into Die & Tooling Manager!
- Receives new dies and tooling, performs inspections, and stores in designated locations.
- Reports to the press with each new die trial, observes product extruding and press practices and perimeters. Captures run data and samples to complete new die reports.
- Prepares dies for each day's production schedule. Shine, inspect, and as required, disassemble and reassembles dies and tooling.
- Oversees dies, tooling, and samples requiring caustic cleaning/etching. Understands and applies regular maintenance requirements of caustic cleaning, polishing, nitriding, as well as inspection for tooling stress cracks, and excessive wear.
- Understands industry tolerance requirements, GD&T, print reading, and the use of precision measuring instruments.
- Extensive knowledge of extrusion press operation, and capable of differentiating between press variable effects and die & tooling design influences on the finished production extrusions.
- Performs dies repairs, including choke, relief, crack repairs, shining, opening wall thickness, extrude honing, by measuring samples against specifications, diagnosing the required modifications, conducting the actual repair, and documenting the modifications that were made.
- Maintains a clean and safe work environment. Actively participates in safety programs to maintain world class safety performance.
- Train die chasers and new die repairmen as required.
- Must be capable of performing all production operator positions to provide back-up support when required.
- Operates die nitrider, extrude hone, fork trucks, overhead cranes to perform normal die maintenance and storage tasks.
Desired Education, Skills, and Experience:
This position is an advanced level die repair technician. The candidate for this position must have a minimum of 5 years die and tooling repair experience, including a minimum of 5 years of extrusion press line operation knowledge. (Die Chasing, Press, Stretcher, Saw, Inspection, Packing). The candidate would preferably have die repair and design experience in the production of Standard shapes (Rod, Bar, Angle, Channels, etc.) as well as Truck Trailer, Automotive, and Building and Construction shapes.
- Minimum of High School diploma and 2 year degree in either an advanced technical trade school or A.S. college education; or equivalent.
- Strong analytical skills, problem solving skills, advanced level mathematics, and geometry.
- Understanding of formal continuous improvement systems. SPC, Six Sigma, Lean manufacturing training, etc.
- Capable of working rotating 12 hour shifts.
- Excellent communicator and team player that’s outgoing, enthusiastic, motivational, and inspiring individual that thrives to win and brings out the best in people.
- Prefer certified fork truck and crane operator.
- Machine tool background and ability to operate mills’ lathes are advantages, but not required.