Large and growing manufacturer for the Automotive Industry is seeking a Manufacturing Engineer to join its rapidly growing team! The Manufacturing Engineer will provide technical expertise and leadership in enhancing the production manufacturing process (reducing cost, increasing throughput, improving quality, etc.) and providing daily engineering support to production operations. The Manufacturing Engineer will be responsible for the design of production tooling, and/or machines, and for developing solutions to production problems relating to materials, processes, tooling and/or operator interactions. Offering competitive compensation, excellent benefits, profit sharing, and a very comprehensive relocation package.
Manufacturing Engineering Responsibilities
- Develop an in-depth understanding of Company’s manufacturing processes, tooling and equipment (including die casting, machining, assembly operations, automation and quality systems).
- Assist Operations and Maintenance Teams with troubleshooting of production equipment to restore it to proper working order.
- Lead the Team to create feasible solutions to reduce costs and improve capacity of production equipment, tooling and/or processes.
- Serves as a Leader to incorporate lean and continuous improvement activities for the manufacturing production programs.
- Leads in the continuous improvement meetings and assists in efforts to improve quality and profitability of products.
- Assist the team in finding solutions to quality performance problems through improvements in error proofing or poka-yoke features in the equipment, tooling and/or processes.
- Performs procurement functions, which includes, establishing performance specifications on all purchases such as gage R&R, production rates, capability & quality levels and machine efficiencies.
- Develops and applies statistical principals to analyze the performance of the manufacturing processes.
- Develops an understanding of the production data collection systems to identify top scrap, downtime and dimensional capability issues in support of production performance objectives and original equipment capabilities.
- Participates in or leads in the creation of testing matrix that assures process validation.
- Leads in the creation and improvements of process documentation for production equipment (visual aids, work instructions, etc.)
- Participates in formal problem-solving efforts utilizing A3, 8-D, and Six Sigma techniques as appropriate to the situation.
Customer Driven Engineering Activities
- Leads and manages all customer-driven and internal product changes. Assesses the impact of customer or company requested changes on product shape, manufacturability, process, function, special characteristics, and quality. Assesses the impact of changes on product financials (amortization balance) and capacity (volume/cycle time changes).
- Participates in design reviews for new products, tools, processes, and equipment. Reviews designs for manufacturability and performs risk assessments in the areas of die cast and M&A operations.
- Participates in die cast, machining and assembly equipment run-offs.
- Assists in quoting the costs and timing associated with changes on products.
- Issues purchase orders and manages the work of suppliers for work associated with product engineering changes.
- Authors and keeps timeline associated with implementing product changes.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or related field, required
- 4-5+ years manufacturing engineering experience, 5-10+ years preferred
- Project management, including meeting facilitation and presentation experience, preferred
- Experience in lean manufacturing processes; High volume automotive with automated machining, assembly, and tooling experience.
- Proficient skills in CAD, PQ2, GD&T, and 5s and visual factory concepts.
- Solid knowledge in the following:
- gating, runner design, PQ2 diagrams, atomization, gate velocity, and tool design, preferred
- Statistical Process Control (SPC) techniques and programs.
- blue print/part print reading skills.
- Solid understanding and experience in die cast process simulations and interpretations, preferred
- Knowledge of lean manufacturing concepts.