The Quality Engineer works in conjunction with the Metallurgical Engineers to manage customer accounts within their respective product groups. The Quality Engineer's primary focus is to reduce waste and improve the cost benefit to our organization.
Quality Engineers will have responsibility for but not limited to the following activities within their respective product groups and will also include collective organizational improvement efforts whenever applicable.
Quality Management System:
* To support our Quality Management System by participating in internal and external ISO 9001/AS 9100, NADCAP process based audits and to support the ongoing maintenance of our certification through the implementation of new requirements as defined by the international and / or customer specific standards.
* To support the ongoing maintenance and continuous improvement of our ISO 9001/AS 9100, NADCAP certification through recommendations for improvement, participation in preventative action activities and effective problem solving for corrective actions on any internal or external audit findings.
* Facilitate any revisions necessary to our internal Quality Management System in support of NADCAP requirements
* Assist and/or lead external audits and related activities as it pertains to Supply Chain Management / supplier selection, approval, and development.
* Train all levels of employees with regards to customer requirements and subsequent changes to Quality Management System documentation.
* Participate in Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP) activities in support of new product introduction that includes, review of customer engineering standards and drawings
* Demonstrate understanding of product development, design change and document change control, process verification and validation methodologies, manufacturing / production process control methodologies, and servicing to ensure successful new product launches.
* To direct the cross functional team during Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP) in the development of Process Flow, PFMEA, Control Plan, SPC and Measurement System methodologies and documentation. Focus must include optimizing the part and/or process in an effort to reduce cost, eliminate waste, and minimize opportunities for defects.
* Use advanced statistical methods like Regression Analysis, Hypothesis Testing and Design of Experiments to assist in the identification and validation of critical process and/or product characteristics in an effort to meet customer requirements in the most economical and efficient methods for our organization.
* Assist in the identification and creation, when applicable, of standard work instructions working closely with operations to ensure systems, processes and procedures are created and implemented to meet customer requirements and expectations for quality and delivery while complying to our Quality Management System.
* Manage the process for communicating Production Part Approval Process (PPAP) requirements to our suppliers as well as final PPAP submittals to the customer for new and revised product to include the management of PPAP approval records.
* Manage the ongoing system for capturing and documenting changes to PFMEA and control plans, inspection methods and frequencies outputs from ongoing Corrective and Preventative actions in support of the product quality planning cycle capturing the never-ending pursuit of continual improvement by taking the lessons learned from one program and cross applying the acquired knowledge to the next program.
* Participate in the creation and ongoing improvement of the measurement system to include CMM layout and gaging methodology requirements, capability studies, statistical reviews in support of new product launches, improvement to existing product and certifying bodies.
* Support responsibility for products suppliers including supplier audits and qualification, supplier scorecard reporting, CAPA, risk management and Continuous Improvement opportunities.
* Support suppliers in the collection and analyzing of data to support Statistical Process Control, Capability Analysis, Measurement System Analysis and other statistical related methods in support of PPAP submittals to our customers.
* Participate in the review and analysis of Cost of Poor Quality (COPQ) metrics and participate in the initiation of engineered solutions to address reject PPM both external and internal.
* Are required to be familiar with existing manufacturing equipment and processes and participate, when applicable, in engineering solutions for optimization of manufacturing process efficiency and effectiveness.
* Implementation of Lean / Six Sigma principles to eliminate waste and reduce process variation in an effort to improve our overall operations and decrease costs associated with our processes.
* Lead and/or assist in the implementation of new manufacturing technologies, process controls and other improvements.
* Assist in the creation of and, when appropriate, conduct training for Irvine Operations and its suppliers in a number of quality and engineering concepts.
* Provide leadership in communication and interaction with customers in order to ensure customer expectations are continually met or exceeded.
*AS in Engineering related field or equivalent experience.
*Qualified applicant should have work experience as a QE in the aerospace industry
*Applicant must have extensive experience with industry specifications (AMS, ASME, ASTM, AS)
*Applicant must have auditing experience with both Nadcap and AS9100
*Applicant must have experience with technical writing of work standards, corrective actions and work procedures
*Applicant must be capable of leading meetings with large groups of cross-functional members
*Applicant must have experience with training of groups of cross-functional members to applicable procedures and standards
*Applicant must be able to clearly articulate past experience with Root Cause and Corrective Action processes
*Applicant should be familiar with OEM standards and quality systems
*Applicant should have experience as a certified release agent per AS13001
*Applicant should have extensive experience with lean concepts such as process mapping, GEMBA and Kaizen
*Familiarity with RCCA tools including Fishbone Diagrams, 5-why, 8D, or other
Preferred (not required):
*Bachelor's degree in an engineering or related technical discipline
*4 years of work experience in the Aerospace Industry
*Ability to read blueprints
*Familiarity with AutoCAD
*Familiarity with metallurgical concepts
*Familiarity with metal processes
*Certification as an AS9100 lead auditor
*ASQ Certified Quality Engineer
*Experience in heat treat
*Experience with pyrometry